[RndTbl] Problems with Shaw?

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Mon Aug 28 14:32:51 CDT 2006

I also have now setup smokeping. Thanks again Sean.

The only problem I have with the RRDTool based programs is they are
"lossy". Meaning, the don't keep the original data which the graphs are
based on so you can't go back and query them for specific time periods
or use them for accurate reporting.

This is why we use rtg instead of mrtg to keep track of bandwidth. rtg
stores all its data in a mysql table which allows you to query any time
period you have data for and see detailed results. This also means the
bandwidth usage is accurate, where as with mrtg its just an average.

I wish smokeping had the same thing. Probably could be added without too
much trouble. Might be a project I undertake one evening.

John