[RndTbl] NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, yikes!

Montana Quiring montanaq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 09:43:55 CST 2006

I've been playing with Solaris over the past year but I would like to
get more experience with UNIX.
There seems to be three (correct me if I'm wrong) main players in the
BSD playing field.
Can someone briefly give a semi-layman, semi-tech explaination of the
differences between NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD?
>From reading their web pages and googling they all seem to pride
themselves on security. I think it's NetBSD that prides its self on
having the most portability and tightly written code, the downside
being they are not the most current when it comes to supporting new
hardware, etc.
I'm looking to use a BSD to create a secure web server and maybe
OpenLDAP as well. This would be for a production environment and not
just tinkering. Xen compatability would also be a bonus.