[RndTbl] NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, yikes!

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Dec 5 09:57:31 CST 2006

On 5-Dec-06, at 9:43 AM, Montana Quiring wrote:

> I've been playing with Solaris over the past year but I would like to
> get more experience with UNIX.
> There seems to be three (correct me if I'm wrong) main players in the
> BSD playing field.
> Can someone briefly give a semi-layman, semi-tech explaination of the
> differences between NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD?
>> From reading their web pages and googling they all seem to pride
> themselves on security. I think it's NetBSD that prides its self on
> having the most portability and tightly written code, the downside
> being they are not the most current when it comes to supporting new
> hardware, etc.
> I'm looking to use a BSD to create a secure web server and maybe
> OpenLDAP as well. This would be for a production environment and not
> just tinkering. Xen compatability would also be a bonus.

I have always considered them as....

NetBDB = portability (and support for my toaster)
OpenBSB = Security
FreeBSD = Performance (on x86 primarily)

But, FreeBSD is staying pretty current wrt security and they now have
UltraSPARC SMP support which is pretty cool.

But in the end, if I need a server to be secure, I run OBSD.

shawn