[RndTbl] Part 2 of slow file transfer on a LAN

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Mon Jan 30 20:06:54 CST 2006

 Following Bills suggestion to compare the results of ifconfig with ipconfig
and winipfcg under M$ I found more information available under Linux. I
looked at the info for the network card in the M$ drivers. It was set up for
half duplex under M$ (I changed it to full). I don't know if the software
would affect hardware settings at this point. If I change it under M$ would
it change under Linux?

 BTW, the card is a Realtek RTL8029(AS) which gets seen in Linux as an
NE2K-PCI.

 More things to report... I transfered around 10 large files in the space of a
couple of hours (even allowing for the crashes from M$). Transfer was a
single file at a time. Under Linux three simultaneous files takes 18 - 21
hours.

 After transferring the files (and getting numerous complaints about the C:
drive running out of space although it was downloading to G:), I decided to
muck around with the Network places icon. I mangage to set up access to the
ftp server as a desktop window. I'll play around with it later. Any advice
for getting something similar running under Linux?

    Later
    Mike

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |