[RndTbl] Core 5 DMA errors

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed May 31 10:22:00 CDT 2006

Yup. I should have said "a real negative is it doesn't work with SATA
drives until kernel 2.6.15".

Ironically this thread reminded me to check into that because I have a
server with SATA drives that have been unmonitored since the switch to
libata about a year ago.

I just installed a new kernel a few weeks back and I'm now finally able
to re-implement proper drive monitoring on it.

Seems to work perfectly with SATA now.

John

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 10:13 -0500, Sean Walberg wrote:
> On 5/31/06, John Lange <john.lange at open-it.ca> wrote:
>         One real negative about SMART is that its mostly IDE only.
>         Even though
>         SATA drives have SMART capability the Linux kernel doesn't
>         support it
>         unless you are using the very newest kernel (just checked and
>         2.6.15 is
>         the first version to support it).
>
> I haven't used it with SATA, but SMART works great with SCSI,
> including 3Ware RAID cards.  Even though the card presents itself to
> the system as a SCSI device, the software can talk to the controller
> to poll the individual drives.
>
> Sean
>

> --
> Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/
John Lange
OpenIT ltd. www.Open-IT.ca (204) 885 0872
VoIP, Web services, Linux Consulting, Server Co-Location