[RndTbl] Grey-listing in effect on MUUG server

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Fri Nov 17 10:49:39 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:22 -0600, Tim Lavoie wrote:

>     Shawn> If you happen to be running OpenBSD or FreeBSD, you can run
>     Shawn> spamd (not part of spamassassin). It does greylisting for
>     Shawn> any MTA and add's almost no load to the machine. To enable
>     Shawn> it on OpenBSD requires removing 6 comment #'s (IIRC).
>
> That is easy, though qpsmtpd on Debian was pretty easy as well. The
> main catch was to move qmail to listen only on localhost, since the
> external interface now has qpsmtpd instead.
>
> So far, so good. No spam in the spambox this morning, at all. Most
> were caught by the Spamhaus DNS blocklist I already use, but the
> greylist whacked the remainder.

Would it not make sense to do it in the other order? Greylisting being
much less CPU intensive than other spam blocking methods.

On a related note, personally I'm strongly opposed to block lists since:

a) they only work after spam has been sent

b) they catch far to many innocent victims

c) when other methods are applied properly, blocklists only improve
results by a very small amount.

"b" being the main reason I don't like them.

John