[RndTbl] blocklists (was: Grey-listing in effect on MUUG server)

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Nov 18 15:56:03 CST 2006

On 17 Nov, Tim Lavoie wrote:
> The choice to make IPs dynamic is a business one, not technical. The
> choice is yours to make as a customer whether that works for you. If
> not, go elsewhere.

For many customers "going elsewhere" is not an option or I would have
switched them all to Shaw ages ago.  In many buildings MTS is the only
option unless you want to pay Shaw $5000-$10000 to run a cable, which so
far no one wants to do.

> Unless you need hands on a physical box, there are
> tons of hosting setups which are reliable, inexpensive and are aimed
> at people hosting network applications.

Two problems: 1) control; 2) cost.  No matter how inexpensive, you're
still looking at adding $15-$25/month.  When unfettered access to all
ports (within bandwidth usage limits) should be free, why spend $250
more per year?  And if you migrate off your email/web/etc services to a
shared hosting service, you lose most of your control: control to do
what you want with antispam, precise control over web application
software, etc.

It's the loss of freedom that irks me so much.  10 years ago the 'Net
was touted as the "great equalizer", where every box on it was equal.
Now they want to limit your activity and say: pay $10/mo for email
hosting, pay $15/mo for web hosting, pay $20/mo for DNS hosting, pay
$40/mo for static IP so you can do your own hosting; or what is truly
the only way to have full control: pay $150+/mo for colocating a server.