[RndTbl] Blocklist info (CBL)

Tim Lavoie tim at fractaldragon.net
Sun Nov 19 14:09:04 CST 2006

I realize we've pretty much beaten the topic into submission, but
thought that some info on a specific list might be a good example of
reasonable policies.

The CBL (Composite Block List) at http://cbl.abuseat.org/ is
completely automated, and bases its list on addresses which have tried
to send spam, malware, worms and so on to servers they monitor.

 - Listings have a time limit, so will age off automatically.

 - Only single IPs are listed, not ranges.

 - While they won't tell you the specific reason for listing (see
 exception below), there is a no-questions-asked de-listing
 available. If still infected though, you will be re-listed.

 - (quoting) The CBL operates in an entirely automated way designed to
 avoid listings of spamtrap hits due to bounces of forged spam, virus
 bounces, and "real" mail servers emitting the occasional spam. It
 tries very hard to avoid listing legitimate mail sources. It does not
 attempt to list every possible spam source.

This list is a subset of the Spamhaus XBL list, and happens to be what
catches most of the spam sent my way. I've checked quite a few of the
IPs blocked on their web form, and it does happen to mention that
blockage was due to a specific worm/virus infection.

         Cheers,
         Tim

--
"Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of
one's native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent