[RndTbl] Grey-listing in effect on MUUG server

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue Nov 21 11:28:25 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:12 -0600, Adam Thompson wrote:
> One word of warning:  the example greylist.pl is known to have several
> race conditions (file-locking bugs) that can corrupt the database.  It's
> also fairly inefficient.  Having said that, for low-volume mail servers
> it still works OK... generally its problems only show up under high volume.
> -Adam

Message received!

After only a few days of running this script it is obvious that the
included greylist.pl should not be used in production. It was returning
signal 11 and stranding hundreds of perl processes not to mention it was
causing postfix to bounce mail like crazy.

It only works under very low volumes and your server never receives more
than one email at a time.

I have now switched to postgrey which is also berkeleyDB based but is
recently maintained and has a few more advanced features which I like.

So far so good but its only been running for less than an hour.

John