[RndTbl] Shaw & dhclient

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:09:38 CST 2006

Trevor Cordes wrote:
> For a few weeks I've been seeing strange behaviour with dhclient/dhcp and
> Shaw.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this:

	I've been having similar weird behaviour this week.

> Once a week or so, usually on Sun or Mon, my FC5 box firewall/router will
> lose its connection to Shaw.  ifconfing will show eth0 up with an IP
> address, but no traffic will come in or out.  Normally, that's a "Shaw is
> down" symptom.  But if I ifdown eth0; ifup eth0, then instantly everything
> is ok again.  And my IP address stays the same.

	I have an external home firewall and it was losing connections every
couple of hours.

> It's almost like dhclient isn't keeping Shaw's DHCP server happy and
> they're cutting me off until I say, "hey, I'm still here" with a ifup
> kick.

	Sounds like what MTS used to be like. A friend wrote a BSD script to
reconnect after each disconnect.

> Any ideas?

	When I phoned on Saturday the tech started by telling me the cable
modem had a good connection. He checked intermittently through the call
and it dropped the connection toward the end of the call. I mentioned in
Windsor Park we get affected by construction in both Transcona and St.
Vital. It seems there is a little work being done (possibly finished) in
Niakwa Place or Niakwa Park. Both are fairly close. Sunday afternoon
things improved.

				Later
				Mike