[RndTbl] Video Overlay cropped

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Oct 12 10:17:36 CDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 09:36 -0500, Adam Thompson wrote:

> talking about xorg.conf you probably aren't using Knoppmyth...

No, FC5.

> I would DEFINITELY install the nvidia binary drivers, and not use the
> built-in "nv" driver; the TV support (and a bunch of other things
> besides) work noticeably better.  Also, the nvidia binary driver
> supports Xvmc fully, and there is a special output mode for MythTV that
> uses the nvidia driver's extended Xvmc support to achieve significantly
> lower cpu usage.

Is this a configurable option some place? Where does Myth store its
config files? The only configuration I've been able to do is through the
front end or mythsetup which only seem to provide very rudimentary
controls.

> As an added bonus, the nvidia binary drivers will either generate a
> correct xorg.conf file for you, or at the very least provide decent
> documentation on how to fix said file yourself.

That hasn't been my experience. It generated a broken xorg.conf (which
is why my computer monitor is now not working) and I don't see any
documentation that outlines what xorg.conf options are available.

Am I missing something?

The ATI drivers come with "aticonfig" which not only automatically sets
up your xorg.conf, but also tunes it if you want to change settings
latter. And, it also dumps all its options to stdout if you invoke it
with no options. Nvidia does not seem to have anything like that.

ATI also supplies several scripts including an uninstall which has been
handy.

John