[RndTbl] experiences with 64-bit virtualisation?

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Oct 20 14:09:58 CDT 2006

I'm thinking of putting together a system that can run both 32-bit
(i686) and 64-bit (x86_64) versions of a few different Linux distros, as
well as Windows XP (or maybe Vista) in a virtualised environment.  The
idea is to be able to build and test software for several Linux distros,
as well as run a few required Windows applications.

Do any of you have experience with running such a mix of virtual
machines, and how would you recommend doing it?  I noticed from VMware's
web site that they claim to support such a mix.  Are their others?  How
well do they work?  Also, VMware seems to have a fairly limited set of
Linux systems that can serve as host OS -- notably they support RHEL but
not Fedora.  Has anyone successfully used VMware under Fedora or under
an RHEL clone system?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>