[RndTbl] Fedora mirror useless for yum

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 30 11:04:30 CST 2006

On 2006-10-28 20:06, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> The MUUG mirror appears to be useless for using for yum updates.

Or more to the point, yum's FTP support appears to be useless for the
majority of modern FTP servers out there.  Read on...

> Running yum against it works for a while but often dies with:
>
> ---> Downloading header for ntp to pack into transaction set.
> ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/mirror/.1/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/ntp-4.2.0.a.20050816-0.FC4.i386.rpm:
> [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] [Errno ftp error] 502 Command REST
> not allowed by policy.
> Trying other mirror.
>
> It looks like REST is denied by ftp.muug.mb.ca and yum doesn't seem to
> provide a way to disable using REST.
>
> Any chance the server could be made to allow this?

The basic problem, if I recall (since it's been a long time since I
tried this), is that yum's FTP client support expects to contact the FTP
server in active mode, rather than passive mode (which most servers now
have set as the default), and it was not easy to change that.  I don't
remember the specific error message you point out, nor what exactly the
REST command is for, but I gave up on using FTP with yum long ago.

> Or any chance of mirroring it via http too?

Absolutely!  That's been set up for a long time.  Just change
ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/mirror/.1/ in the above to instead use
http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/ and everything should be happy!

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/