[RndTbl] Problem Reading DVDs

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Fri Sep 1 13:13:39 CDT 2006

For some reason we have a stack of DVDs that must have been burned in
some strange format. When I put one in my DVD drive the drive refuses to
recognize it. When I try to mount it, it simply says "no media".

What I would like to do is take a "raw" image off the disk, so I can try
to recover it.

Something similar to what would be done with "dd" on a hard disk.

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/tmp/file

But again, it just says "no media". Is there a way to "force" a mount or
some other technique so I can read the disk?

Or any other suggestions as to how to recover the data?

John