[RndTbl] Problem Reading DVDs

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Sep 1 13:49:09 CDT 2006

On  1 Sep, John Lange wrote:
> For some reason we have a stack of DVDs that must have been burned in
> some strange format. When I put one in my DVD drive the drive refuses to
> recognize it. When I try to mount it, it simply says "no media".

My guess is you're screwed.  The problem is probably not that the OS
can't understand the format, it's that the drive itself can't figure it
out.  It was most likely a failed burn, dying burner, not fixated or
something like that.

I verify all burns immediately after burning for full read verification.
Good habit to get into.

Also, high-end Verbatim (or other noteworthy brand like Imation)
data-life-plus media is recommended for anything important.  It's not
too much more money for peace of mind.  There really is a difference in
quality.  I can order them in at good prices if anyone's interested.