[RndTbl] Windows X servers

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Sep 21 15:26:29 CDT 2006

I know this reply is a tad late, but still a-propos given Gilbert's
recent talk and his recommendation of Cygwin/X.  I've recently tried
both Cygwin/X and Xming, and I've found that Xming was quite a bit
easier to install and configure than Cygwin/X.  I had to fight with
Cygwin/X a fair bit before I could get it to work at all.  It seems the
latest release of the xorg-x11 packages (6.8.99.901-1) aren't quite
ready for prime time, and you need to revert to the earlier releases
(6.8.2.0-* or 6.8.1.0-*) for the server to start up correctly.  You
also need to set the text file type to Unix/binary or the server won't
start up either.  The Cygwin/X FAQ doesn't cover these issues yet, so I
had to dig through the mailing list archives to get a hint as to what
was causing the problem.

I haven't used either X server that heavily yet, but based on my
experience so far I'd recommend Xming over Cygwin/X.  One oddity I
found is when running "printtool" on FC4, displaying on the Windows PC,
it seemed to work fine with Xming but gave an error and aborted with
Cygwin/X.

If you do install Xming, be sure to also install the Xming-fonts
package unless you plan to use a font server, as the Xming package
seems to have just the bare minimum.

Gilles

On Thursday, Jul 27, 2006, at 21:27, Montana Quiring wrote:
> I've been using X-Deep32 (www.pexus.com) with my Zaurus until I
> reinstalled XP on my work computer. Now it appears that it's not free.
> hope I kept the install file. :) I'll let you know if I find it.
>
> I've been tempted to try this one out:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/xming/
> ...but haven't yet. Please let me/us know if you try it and find it
> works
> well.
>
> -Montana
> "When I give, I give myself.”
> -Walt Whitman
>

>> According to Michael J. Dikkema:
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions for a good X server for Windows? I
>>> preferred Xwin32 a long time ago, but haven't had the need for one
>>> since.
>>> A free one would be nice, but if there's major feature differences,
>>> paying
>>> for a licence is not really an issue.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/