[RndTbl] I/O error with dd

Dan Martin ummar143 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 17 22:01:01 CST 2007

I back up my entire system, including Windows, by copying the entire
contents of one drive to another using the dd command (boot to Linux
rescue DVD).  I have bays that allow me to remove the drives, and after
copying father to son I use the son.

During the last backup I had an input error part way through a 100 GB
vfat partition.  I completed the backup using conv=noerror, and recorded
the record number (1MB records).  The father drive, containing the
error, is a brand new drive.

A windows check of the partition does not reveal any problems.

Presumably, I have a corrupt file on the father, which could be restored
from the grandfather.  Is there any way I can find which files are on
the effected part of the drive?

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon), MSc

GP Hospital Practitioner
ummar143 at shaw.ca
(204) 831-1746
answering machine always on