[RndTbl] Shaw Internet stops working for an hour or so

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Feb 20 03:21:14 CST 2007

On 19 Feb, Bill Reid wrote:
> levels but the problem still persisted. Power cycling the modem does not get the
> interface working. Doing a network restart on Linux does get it going again. The
> box has two interfaces and the problem only occurs with the Internet interface.

Yes, this is the exact same problem myself and a few others have
reported here.  On my end, it's gotten worse.  Nearly every day it goes
down.  It's so bad I wrote a cheesy script run from inittab, see below.
Seems to work well.

Even if you're static, you could still be handled by DHCP.  So you can't
rule that out.

Interesting that you suggest there's a possible linux-side aspect to
this... I suppose there could have been some obscure bug introduced into
the kernel or dhclient code a few revs ago.  I'm on FC5, newest updates.
Still, I'm more confident the problem lies with Shaw.

I have 2-5 interfaces on my boxes and, as you said, it's only the
external Shaw iface that has the problem.

Maybe if enough of us networking gurus (not your average Shaw
customers!) put our complaints to Shaw someone will actually look into
this.

#cat /usr/local/sbin/internet-keep-up
#!/bin/bash
#
# hack b/c Shaw's dhcp is farked up and hoses me

# don't thrash on initial boot, easiest to just sleep a long time
sleep 300

while :
do
  ping -c 1 -i 3 -w 15 anothershawdomain.ca >/dev/null 2>&1 || {
    ping -c 1 -i 3 -w 15 130.179.16.8 >/dev/null 2>&1 || {
      # could try more pings before declaring downage
      ifdown eth0 >/dev/null 2>&1
      sleep  2
      ifup   eth0 >/dev/null 2>&1
      sleep  2