[RndTbl] Point to point wireless

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 3 19:37:31 CDT 2007

We're a number of houses apart, though on the same block. Do standard wireless routers have the range, or should I make/buy an external directional antenna? I've heard that if you crank up the power of a typical (say, Linksys) router's wireless output beyond the default, it can burn out pretty quick. Can anyone confirm or dispel that rumour?