[RndTbl] Questions about dig

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed Mar 7 10:22:29 CST 2007

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if dig had to perform a
recursive query to return an answer?

This seems like it would be an obvious thing to indicate in a result but
it doesn't seem to show up anyplace.

So for example, in the query:

# dig @localhost www.somedomain.com

I'd like to know:

- did localhost consider itself the authorative answer?
- if not, did it return the result from local cache?
- or, did it recursively discover the result from out on the net?
- If it recursively discovered the answer, which server did it query to
get the answer?

In my testing, I performed some queries where I knew before hand the
answers to the above questions and then compared the results from dig
and I could find no definitive way to tell the difference in the
results.

Any dig masters want to give me some tips?

John