[RndTbl] minor DST problem with Red Hat/Fedora "legacy" systems

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 14 11:43:23 CDT 2007

If you're still running Red Hat or Fedora Linux systems that were being
updated by the Fedora Legacy project before it was shut down, you should
have received the tzdata update last year to correct the Daylight Saving
Time switchover for this year.  However, the updates from
fedoralegacy.org only installed the new /usr/share/zoneinfo files, but
didn't update /etc/localtime from that.  (On RH/FC systems,
/etc/localtime is a copy of the appropriate zoneinfo file, not a
symbolic link.)

What I found is that for these systems (RH9, FC1-3), I needed to do the
following:

     cp -p /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Winnipeg /etc/localtime

After that, I either rebooted the system, or restarted these services:
syslog, crond, xinetd, sendmail, httpd.  FC4 updated itself
automatically last spring, so as long as you rebooted since then, the
DST change should have happened without a snag.  FC5-6 had the changes
at release time.

I also managed to update a very old Red Hat 6.2 system by copying the
zoneinfo file from a Red Hat 9 system updated by fedoralegacy.

Just thought these tips might be of help if you're supporting legacy
linux boxes.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/