[RndTbl] Remote connections to Macintoshes

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Sat Nov 10 09:58:06 CST 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 I wrote:
> I'm tired of doing phone support.  I'd like to connect remotely from one
> of my Linux/Windows/Macintosh computers, through my Linksys router,
> through Shaw's network, through MTS's network, to various relative's
> Macintoshes.

I finally got it working.  The key points seem to be
* On the Mac, in System Preferences > Sharing, enable Apple Remote Desktop.
Then click "Access Privileges...", enable "VNC Viewers may control screen
with password", and set a password -- with no password set, I got
authentication failures.

* On my Ubuntu box, install xtightvncviewer.

* On the Mac, visit www.grc.com's "Shields UP!", portforward.com, or some such
site to confirm the Mac's IP address.

* On my Ubuntu box, "xtightvncviewer ip.nu.mb.er"