[RndTbl] Remote connections to Macintoshes

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Mon Oct 8 20:14:20 CDT 2007

And then Bill Reid wrote:
> Is this on OSX 10.4. We are still on 10.3 and there is not a VNC option.

Two notes of interest from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppleRemoteDesktop :

"ensure the correct 'Tight VNC' protocol is used to access the Mac, rather
than regular VNC, which won't work (if VNC is used, the connection will fail
with a 'Unknown message type 255 from VNC server' response)."

and

"Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) ships with an old version of Apple Remote Desktop
Client that does not interoperate with third-party VNC viewers. You can
correct this by downloading and installing [WWW] Apple Remote Desktop Client
2.2 to match what's bundled with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger). Alternatively, you
can upgrade 10.3.9 or 10.4.x to have [WWW] Apple Remote Desktop Client 3.1,
which Apple says "is recommended for all users."

I have Remote Desktop Client 2.2 on my Mac OS 10.3.9 computer, and
xtightvncviewer connects to it.

However, System Preferences on my Mom's Mac helpfully reports that "Others can
manage your computer using the address 10.64.x.y", which doesn't do me any
good. Is there a way to get an IP address that I can from Shaw's network?