[RndTbl] Video Editing?

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Wed Sep 12 13:53:31 CDT 2007

I'm curious about what people use for video editing in Linux.

I have a Sony Mini-DV Handicam, and now with a cheap firewire card I can
pull video down onto my computer.  I'd like to ultimately end up making DVDs
and short clips to share with the family and keep with the photo albums.

Kino is very simple, in fact I think it's too simple.  After playing with it
for a while I think I prefer Microsoft Movie Maker.  I'd have actually gone
that way (my Windows work PC is a lot faster than my Linux home PC) but the
Microsoft tool can't generate DVDs directly.

I've been playing with Cinelerra, which is in an entirely different league,
almost like going from mspaint to Photoshop.  Lots more features, but a
bigger learning curve.  In about an hour I figured out how to import the
video files, edit the cutmarks, and splice them together with transitions,
which is about all Kino can do.  The kicker is to generate the final video
you have to render it -- a 75 second clip with no complex stuff is taking
over 20 minutes at DVD quality on my meager 1.8GHz P4.

Any other recommendations or observations?

Thanks,

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/