[RndTbl] News readers (binary)

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:16:19 CDT 2007

	I've noticed there hasn't been an update to BNR2 in a number of years.
Since it has troubles with its own database for headers I was wondering
what people use as an alternative. Granted this is a question I asked a
few years back, but BNR2 was updating regularly at that point.

	I liked BNR2 because it is able to handle "unstable" servers like
Shaws. It also allows downloads from multiple servers if the completion
rate isn't very good on some of them. It also allows the user to
prioritise which servers are used first. Finally it allows the user to
adjust the font size for high resolution monitors (always a good feature
in any program).

	In the past I tried pan. Before the Shaw servers became unstable I was
using it all the time. I'll admit to not using the last two versions.
However the versions I did use all became "confused" when dealing with
Shaw and even froze rock solid. I guess something tied up the download
slots and refused to release them.

	What do people use now? I don't mind setting up a pseudo server (gets
the headers and maybe does the actual downloading but only on request
from the news reader). The pseudo server route has a lot of advantages
if the program is stable and can handle Shaw.

				Later
				Mike