[RndTbl] FreeBSD 7 install -- help required!

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Mon Apr 14 18:18:25 CDT 2008

>> At the beginning of the install, it complained about the drive
>> geometry (how 90s). The FreeBSD installer indicates that the
>> geometry is set to 77545/16/63, that this is wrong, and it's using
>> something better, which turns out to be 4865/255/63. When I go into
>> the BIOS, it reports the geometry to be 19158/16/255. FreeBSD
>> doesn't let me set the geometry to either of the two other ones!

This is the real clue.
How big is the disk?

I've seen this happen before but mostly on VERY large disk arrays (1TB
+).
If sysinstall is complaining about the disk geometry you won't be able
to boot from that drive.
Sysinstall is really old and busted but this is a portent to other
issues.

The other reason for this complaint is if the disk controller on your
motherboard isn't supported all that well.
Is this SATA/PATA?
What is the Motherboard model as well as the drive model numbers?

--
Sean