[RndTbl] FreeBSD 7 install -- help required!

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Mon Apr 14 19:40:23 CDT 2008

There maybe something weird with the disk.
A dmesg would be helpful but that's kind of hard to get if you can't
get the boot-loader to work.

If you can format the fdisk/format the disk using a linux live cd or
something.
Another method would be to DD the first MB of the disc and reboot.
You need to reboot to refresh the in-kernel geometry, not sure how to
reload the kernel config without rebooting or hot plugging the disk.

My other suggestion would be to try another drive if you have one
around.
The motherboard in question has no FreeBSD 7 dmesg submitted but it
seems to work with 6.2 (there were huge disk related changes between
6.2 and 7 so no assumptions can be made there).

On 14-Apr-08, at 7:20 PM, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> The motherboard is an ASUS M2A-VM with both SATA and PATA. I've been
> trying to install to the WD400 (~40 GB) PATA drive (master, CD-ROM
> is the slave). It seems to work fine during the install.

Yeah you can tell sysinstall to disregard the in-kernel geometry but
I've only had that work once.  It pretends the drive is ok but is
misaligned and the boot record isn't in the right place not to mention
even if the boot loader worked, mount would freak out about it.

--
Sean