[RndTbl] Open Source Trouble Ticket System?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Aug 27 10:23:27 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Montana Quiring <montanaq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I get some recommendations for some open source trouble-ticket
> (web based) software, please?

I've used RT recently, and found it to be a very good system for my needs.
 Its biggest problem is complexity - it's designed to handle multiple
helpdesks with varying seniority, and if your situation is very simple, much
of RT is overkill.  In my situation, I was the only user (both as "client"
and as "helpdesk") because I needed to keep track of a large number of
outstanding tickets with varying priority in different queues.  Despite the
complexity, I was very satisfied with it.  The one thing it didn't have,
that I had to build myself, was decent status or activity reports.
About 6 years ago, I used Keystone from Stonekeep Consulting and was very
happy with it then, but I reevaluated it last year and picked RT instead.  I
don't think there was anything wrong with Keystone, but it isn't being as
actively maintained as RT.
It appears that RT is "king of the hill" for trouble-ticketing, but it's
definitely not meant to be a bug tracking system; for that you'd be most
likely looking at Bugzilla.
Theodore mentioned Trac as well, which is under active development like RT,
although in my opinion the UI just plain sucks.  I can't even quantify why,
I just don't like it.
If you're doing software development, the SourceForge system is hard to
beat; it includes virtually every component you'd want for facilitating
development.  It's open-source, but also comes as a commercially supported
package, and I believe is available as an appliance too.
-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net