[RndTbl] using hub to connect to shaw

Dan Martin ummar143 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 11:40:03 CST 2008

This should be simple, but for some reason I can't get it working.

My present setup:
shaw cable modem ----> linux box / iptables ----> airport extreme ----> a
happy group of Mac & PCs, some wired, some wireless

Problem:
My broker supplies me with software for streaming quotes that must run on XP
and not be behind a firewall.

Solution (I thought):
Use my old Allied Telesyn CentreCOM MR815T hub/repeater, and take advantage
of the fact that Shaw will issue 2 IPs.
shaw cable modem ----> hub
                           port 1 |---------> linux box / iptables ---->
etc, as before
                           port 2 |---------> promiscuous XP box

If I connect either the network (my present system) or the XP box directly
to the cable modem, each seems to work.  If I connect either of these
through the hub, it no longer works.  A diode will light up showing the
connection of a PC to a particular port, but will not light up when I plug
in the ethernet cable from the cable modem.  The hub will indicate activity
when an attempt is made to access the internet, but no activity is
registered on the cable modem.

I have used different ports on the hub, 3 different ethernet cables to
connect the modem to the hub, and at times I have rebooted the modem or the
PC attached to the hub (various permutations of these actions).

The hub has 8 ports - the first 7 are labelled with an "X" which I believe
means MDI-X (crossover) configuration to plug a PC into.  Port 8 has a
switch to select MDI or MDI-X.  What should I plug the modem into? (I have
tried both).

--
Dan Martin, MD
GP Hospital Practitioner