[RndTbl] using hub to connect to shaw

Dan Martin ummar143 at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 20 14:43:55 CST 2008

Thanks to all who replied.  It appears to be working now.

On 20-Dec-08, at 1:58 PM, Sean Walberg wrote:

> If you don't have a link light, it doesn't matter how your cable
> modem is provisioned.  You're not connected to it. Fix layer 2
> problems before worrying about layer 3.

Thanks Sean - good advice.  I switched my configurable port on the hub
to MDI, connected to the cable modem, and this time got a link light.
I was beginning to think the light wasn't working.  I'm sure I've done
this configuration before, but one of the cables connects a little
loosely.

Once I had the link light, it took only seconds to plug the additional
cables, and no reboots were required.  It just worked!  No issues in
layer 3.

The only thing I'm curious about is how much speed I'm actually losing
with a 10base T hub.

Dan Martin
GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Scientist