[RndTbl] network problem

Dan Martin ummar143 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 14 17:49:22 CST 2008

Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Well, no. By default, Shaw gives out one IP address per cable modem,
> so if you change the connected device from the original router you
> tried, to something else, it ignores the new device. Sometimes
> powering down the cable modem (and waiting... hours? Days?) helps, but
> the better solution is to call Shaw Internet tech support and tell
> them you want your free second IP address activated.
I only need one address.  I just need the NIC to get it.  I was trying
to bypass the firewall to see if that's where the problem was.

I am guessing the firewall is NOT the problem:
1)  I can connect on another machine on the LAN that should be handled
the same way by the firewall.
2)  The second app used to work with the same firewall on the first machine.

Could a NIC 'partly' fail so that it can't accept an address by DHCP and
will fail with some connections but not others?

--
  -Dan

Dr. Dan Martin, MD, CCFP, BSc, BCSc (Hon), MSc

GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Scientist
ummar143 at shaw.ca
(204) 831-1746