[RndTbl] Strange Shaw traffic. Shaping?

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 19 18:33:20 CST 2008

John Lange wrote:
> Just recently I noticed that when I try and upload a file from my Shaw
> home Xtreme account via SSH (scp), the transfer starts out quickly
> reaching nearly 1Mb, then my entire Shaw connection clamps right down
> and my ping times shoot through the roof (800ms).

> Is anyone else seeing this? Has Shaw started some heavy duty traffic
> shaping?

I have not noticed this behaviour with Extreme.

I just now tried a few uploads of a 5M file. It would hit 200KB+ occassionally
atr the start but average rate for all 4 uploads was the same 121.3K(even to
different hosts).  That seems strange and sure sound like rate shaping.  If I
did concurrent uploads I would get close to the 1Mbps throughput.

I wonder if "Power Boost" applies to uploading? My uploads peaked over 200K
which is certainly higher than 1Mbps.

-- Bill