[RndTbl] FreeBSD ZFS vs. OpenSolaris ZFS?

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 29 19:29:57 CST 2008

I see that the latest FreeBSD release, 7.0, is supposed to support Sun's
ZFS file system. I was wondering if you were to (for example) install
FreeBSD on disk A using FreeBSD's 'normal' file system (UFS? UFS2? FFS?
I haven't been following BSD file systems), and then set up disks B and
C as a mirrored ZFS pool, could you later install OpenSolaris on disk A
(replacing FreeBSD) and have it read the existing ZFS stuff on disks B
and C? Or install OpenSolaris first, then FreeBSD later?

As a bonus question, would anyone care to comment as to whether FreeBSD
7.0 or OpenSolaris (any version) are stable/reliable enough for a (home)
production file server, specifically with respect to the ZFS support?