[RndTbl] Suggestions for inexpensive RAID systems based on SATA disks?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 26 18:17:56 CDT 2008

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to offer for inexpensive
hardware RAID systems based on SATA disks?  I'd prefer an independent
RAID box, with a suitable low-cost interface to a server host, rather
than suggestions such as "just buy a big enclosure and a bunch of SATA
drives and a RAID card".

I'm hoping for something cheaper than the $10-20K range for things like
Dell's PowerVault MD3000.  And preferably something I can easily
populate with 3rd-party SATA drives, e.g. on empty hot-swap sleds, just
to keep costs down.

Thanks.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>