[RndTbl] Choosing server software

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Wed Sep 17 12:42:12 CDT 2008

Mike, you'll probably get as many opinions on this as there are people
on this list.

First, it's not really clear to me what you are trying to do. What
exactly is meant by "provide local internet services" ? How is it being
provided? PC terminals on a LAN? Wireless? Dialup?

"extend the range of an existing public access service" seems to imply
wireless of some kind? By extend do you mean add more wireless access
points?

As far as providing hosting services for web sites, these days it simply
doesn't make sense to do it yourself. There are a litany of very high
quality hosting providers in the US which offer hosting that includes a
free domain name, email, tons of storage and bandwidth, web based site
management tools etc. for less than $5/month. You simply can not beat
this so I'd strongly recommend this option for anyone.

For the router/firewall, I would choose something like a Linksys WRT54GL
and put some custom Linux firmware on it like Tomato. These devices are
cheap and reliable and since you mentioned wifi it would have everything
you need. Specific roll-your-own dedicated hardware is almost always
overkill unless you have a specific requirement for it.

Regards,
--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca