[RndTbl] sad Mac

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Thu Sep 18 13:58:42 CDT 2008

Dan Martin wrote:

> Good suggestion.  One hard drive cable (an Apple drive) appears to
> have a 19-pin connector,

Wow! Must be an HD20. That's amazing. Wikipedia tells me that there were
adaptors that converted these to scsi devices back in the day...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Disk_20
Probably hard to find such a thing these days. I worked at Apple in
Cork, Ireland as an intern in 1988, and I have never seen one of these
:-) I think the hammer and a magnet may be your best course of action here.

 the same as Apple's floppy drive connector.
> The second party hard drive has a 25-pin connector (same physical
> connector for RS-232, but different voltages etc.)

This one is scsi, using Apple's DB25 connector. Apple stopped shipping
macs with scsi relatively recently, chances are pretty good that you can
find a usb -> scsi adaptor on ebay.

> I don't know what format,

Looks like HFS was introduced before the Mac Plus, so chances are good
that if you can connect the device to a linux or mac os x system, it can
be read, and of course, reformatted (don't forget to overwrite
everything as well).

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman