[RndTbl] Public access machine

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 14:58:27 CST 2009

Robert Keizer wrote:
> Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>>     First I've confirmed the reboot/halt command needs to be performed
>> as root under Mint. Makes sense.
>>
>>     When it comes to enabling access to the reboot/halt command, this
>> would be done through file permissions?
>>

> It could.. but its a bad idea. A better solution would be to allow the
> user access to it via sudo. Try out 'visudo' and the man page of 'sudoers'.
>
> When sudo is setup correctly, certain users can execute commands as
> root, so no changes to filesystem permissions are required. Just prefix
> the command with sudo .. ie "sudo shutdown -rn now" or "sudo reboot".

	Actually I'd like it to be done at the system init level. Hope I'm
using the correct terminology. Through something which is set up at
startup. This way it is out of control of the user. Last week we had
someone who was on the single machine all day and wouldn't budge. If he
could figure out how to disable the shutdown idea we're discussing he
would. This way if the machine shuts down and there is someone waiting
to get on they can say he had his half hour and boot him off. If he's
the only person there then he can restart since all he does is facebook
and the like.

	What we can do is create a user account without privileges or sudo
access so they can't mess up the machine. We can then use a different
account for updates etc..

	BTW, I've just set up Virtual Box and downloaded a couple of kiosk
distros. I think the first was Webkiosk. It seemed to work OK. They want
$200US to configure it for us. Maybe we can try it in the other machine
for a while on Friday and see if we can get by without any changes. The
other one is Pynx|Kiosk. I'll look at that one after I get back in a
couple of hours. Any suggestions for others to look at? I'll be at
tomorrows meeting and ask again there.

> All the best,
> Robert

				Later