[RndTbl] Public access machine

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:55:21 CST 2009

Glen Ditchfield wrote:
> On December 7, 2009 12:46:51 pm Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>> As to rebooting every 30 minutes, I was thinking about that earlier. I
>> think it would be best to halt after 30 minutes of usage rather than
>> every 30 minutes.
>
> Does this system have a login dialog?  Perhaps you could put a command in the
> XDM or KDM Xstartup file to kill the session after 30 minutes.  "shutdown r
> +30" would do, but killing all of the guest user ID's processes ought to be
> enough.

	I was thinking about a login dialogue earlier. There are both plus and
minuses to it. The plus is we can directly go to the privileged
account to do the updates. The minus is the users (some of which are not
too bright) might get confused.

	The issue of the halt versus the logout is one which is important. I've
been thinking about it all evening. If it's a logout then it is
potentially less harmful to the hardware. If it's a halt the benefits
are the non-privileged account gets recreated on start-up and the
message to the user is "get out of the chair and let someone else have a
chance". Before the machine this one is replacing was stolen, we had up
to five people waiting for two spots. A halt may help move things along
a little faster. Particularly if someone is watching...

	It looks like Adam has something to say as a reply to this message.
I'll check it out.

				Later
				Mike