[RndTbl] Public access machine

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:38:30 CST 2009

Adam Thompson wrote:
> Actually... That's an excellent suggestion. Except: the last command
> in a .xinitrc or .xsession file must stay runningfor the duration of
> the X session.  Normally, that command is "kdeinit" or
> "gnome-session", or historically, the window manager executable i.e.
> "mwm" or "twm" or whatever.

	I remember having seen this when I wanted to run KDE in FreeBSD.

> If you start GNOME, say, by including "gnome-session &" as the
> second-last line, the *last* line can then be "sleep 1800".  When it
> exits, so does the X session.

	Let's see if I understand how this works (I'm getting better at
this)... The window manager starts in the background. This is OK because
it's an interactive program and will grab the I/O anyway. The last line
is executed in the foreground and does nothing for 1800 seconds (30
minutes) then stops. At that point there is nothing left in the file so
the session quits. Being an Ubuntu fork it will then pop back into mode
5 and present the login screen. Once the user types the password and
starts a new session the whole process repeats. For the most part this
is acceptable. There are a couple of problems.

	It appears they've decided to do away with those files (at least I
can't find them in the "~" directory). Next, if the user knew where to
look they could edit the file and change it back to normal. Then all
they'd have to do is logout and login again when nobody was looking.
This would then stay in effect until the next startup when the users
home directory is removed and recreated. Unless it is possible to change
the ownership of the file to a different account such as root, then
prevent editing by the user...

> (It might be nice to provide a countdown timer for the user.)

	I know how to create a "popup" dialogue using Zenity but I'm not sure
how to do a timer.

> -Adam

				Later
				Mike