[RndTbl] Public access machine

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:16:49 CST 2009

Adam Thompson wrote:
>     No, there's an elegant solution to this problem I just don't know
>     what it is yet.
>     -Adam

	If a shell script (or Peters idea of a Python script) can be executed
at run time as root (no sudo required) a number of init scripts can be
run at that time. The first one can run a notify after 25 minutes. The
second could shut down after 30. A third could clean out the users home
directory. Maybe in reverse order...

> How about [up to] 45 Neoware thin-client machines you could run off an
> Ubuntu server?

	Wishful thinking on the part of the guys in the lab. Myself included.
Then we could also use a thin client server and get rid of XP (directly)
from the class rooms.

> Would that be another way to solve your problem?

	Maybe. I'll have to think about it. We'd have to increase the number of
public access machines to a number greater than two though... That means
another room and a supervisor.

> (Er...
> is there any way I could wrangle a tax receipt out of this if I donate
> some hardware?)

	I don't know. I'll have to ask. Best answer I can give you now is
probably not but the possibility is there. Roy should be at tonights
meeting. He is one of three people who would know. He talks with Alvin
(the guy in charge) every couple of days. The CLL may run the public
access program but they aren't the ones in charge of it. One layer on
top of another and all that...

> -Adam

				Later
				Mike