[RndTbl] Interesting effect - Looks like it's ready to go folks

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Dec 11 11:13:30 CST 2009

On 12/10/2009 08:43 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> 	I'm sure this will be of no interest to the "*NIX heavyweights" of the
> group. For everybody else here is the code I plan to add to the machine...
>
> *****
> rm -rf /home/guest
> cp /root/guest.tar /home
> cd /home
> tar -xvf guest.tar
> rm guest.tar
> cd -
> echo 'zenity --info --display=:0.0 --text="This computer will
> automatically turn off in five minutes." --width=150' | at now +25 minutes
> echo 'shutdown -h now' | at now +30 minutes
> *****

You could replace lines 2-6 in that script with:

tar xf /root/guest.tar -C /home

No need to do the cd's and cp/rm, as tar can do the cd and the cp is
unnecessary.  You don't really need the v option to tar if this is
running from rc.local.  You could also save a little space by using the
z argument to tar (for both the create and extract phases) and storing
the home directory copy in guest.tgz.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/