[RndTbl] Interesting effect - Looks like it's ready to go folks

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:59:53 CST 2009

Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 08:43 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>> 	I'm sure this will be of no interest to the "*NIX heavyweights" of the
>> group. For everybody else here is the code I plan to add to the machine...
>>
>> *****
>> rm -rf /home/guest
>> cp /root/guest.tar /home
>> cd /home
>> tar -xvf guest.tar
>> rm guest.tar
>> cd -
>> echo 'zenity --info --display=:0.0 --text="This computer will
>> automatically turn off in five minutes." --width=150' | at now +25 minutes
>> echo 'shutdown -h now' | at now +30 minutes
>> *****
>
> You could replace lines 2-6 in that script with:
>
> tar xf /root/guest.tar -C /home
>
> No need to do the cd's and cp/rm, as tar can do the cd and the cp is
> unnecessary.  You don't really need the v option to tar if this is
> running from rc.local.  You could also save a little space by using the
> z argument to tar (for both the create and extract phases) and storing
> the home directory copy in guest.tgz.

	I followed Glens advice from last night. I could cut two lines down to
one if I used the code you provided.

	There is plenty of hard drive space on the machine. It only has two
accounts and the one which will be used most often gets wiped at
startup. I'll probably have to redo some of the options and re-tar the
directory. It seems as though some of the users can't find the gnome
start menu. I'll probably have to put a link to Firefox on the desktop
as well. <sigh>

	The guy who spent all day on the machine last week left after a couple
of hours today. He doesn't want to use it if there is a second machine
around. ;-)

				Later
				Mike