[RndTbl] Connection tracking in ipfilter (Solaris) or ipfw (Mac OS X)?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jan 21 12:09:39 CST 2009

On 2009-01-20 19:15, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Gilbert E. Detillieux wrote:
>> Any suggestions for clean, secure ways to implement firewall support for
>> these services using ipfilter or ipfw?
>
> For Mac OS X, using ipfw in combination with the Application Firewall
> may accomplish some of what you want:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1810

I'm working on Mac OS X Server, which doesn't have the Application
Firewall (under System Preferences/Security), but instead has a rather
nice Firewall GUI front-end to ipfw, under the Server Admin app.

However, this does not provide the functionality I'm looking for.  It
did make the basic ipfw setup much easier, though.  (Only needed a
couple manual-override rules that I couldn't set up through the GUI.)

> There is also a GUI frontend for ipfw on Mac OS X, don't know if it's
> any good - http://www.hanynet.com/waterroof

I had heard of this, but I haven't tried it.  It looks like an
alternative to what's provided in Server Admin.  (Perhaps it would be
more useful under the non-Server versions of Mac OS X.)

> For Solaris, I don't know, I'm afraid, I guess you found the FAQ?
> http://www.phildev.net/ipf/long.html

Looked through that FAQ already, as well as the IPF Howto it references.
  Their solution to the passive FTP server problem is to open up a port
range in the firewall, and configure the FTP server to use that port
range for passive data transfers.

I was hoping for a better solution, including one that would work for
Amanda backups as well, using connection tracking.  However, it looks
like the open port range solution is the best I can hope for right now.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/