[RndTbl] CLL article in the newsletter

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:01:01 CDT 2009

	I was actually intending to respond earlier but my monitor kind of died
over the last couple of days. I've managed to set up another one so I'm
good for a while now... :-)

	The article was precise and to the point. We do community outreach to
help people who have been left behind by the "digital revolution". The
goal is to provide /minimal/ training so people are able to use
computers. After the course mentioned in the article, the students are
entitled to an older computer (so as not to affect sales at retail stores).

	We have a fair number of computers coming back for repair of hardware
and software. We could use a volunteer (maybe more later) to help with
these machines. We currently have five machines waiting repair as well
as a "lame duck" pile which needs a bit more time. If we can catch up we
should have time for other projects. Apart from classes, we're only
there one day per week.

	At this point almost all the computers loaned out are Windows 2000
machines. However we have had requests for Linux machines and Macs. We
treat them as special single unit requests. The folks in charge are
reluctant to encourage anything non-Microsoft for a couple of reasons.
All the folks in the Selkirk office (with one exception) only know
Microsoft. They are worried about supporting something they aren't
familiar with. Finally some students want to use the machines to get
work and some employers want employees who *only use Microsoft*.

	This sort of relates to the MUUG for a few reasons. 1) All our tools
are *NIX based 2) We have the special requests I mentioned earlier 3)
After three returns due to virus infections the student is either
dropped or offered a Linux box 4) We don't know how students will react
to Linux machines (we've only had one Linux return because the student
bought a new computer).

	The folks in charge are really excited about being approached by the
MUUG. They are hoping things will develop further.

	You'll recognise the people from the Winnipeg lab. Three of us are
already members of the MUUG and two others show up occasionally. If
things work out we should all be at the next meeting on Tuesday.

				Later
				Mike