[RndTbl] Looking for an Appliance

Tim Lavoie tim at fractaldragon.net
Thu May 14 10:30:39 CDT 2009

Montana Quiring <montanaq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Thanks for all the tips.
> I should add this this box will need to handle as many as 400 connections.
>
> 99.9% of the users won't know how to change their MAC address. The MAC filter
> is basically just to get their attention. :)

Heheh. You're quite welcome. You're right, the filtering will take care
of most people. As for number of connections, I think you would still do
fine with modest hardware. They do have a sizing guide on the site,
based on expected bandwidth and some other features used such as VPN. I
would add that memory requirements should take add-on apps into account,
for example you can set up snort and squid there too from available
packages. Still, you can scale nicely if you can use a slightly-less-old
system.
--
"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for
the rest of your life." -Michael Sinz