[RndTbl] Open Source Backup/cloning to USB HDD

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue Oct 27 15:36:02 CDT 2009

Just out of curiosity, what is it that these various programs that
people have recommended do with regard to imaging that "dd" doesn't?

I've never looked at any of these in any great detail but so far as I
can see they all add complexity while reducing functionality.

Image a disk? dd

Backup a file system? rsync

to tape? tar

to remote? ssh (or scp)