[RndTbl] Network performance tuning

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Apr 7 16:11:49 CDT 2010

On 2010-04-07 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Actually, I was mainly hoping to verify that it was, indeed, a
> hardware problem.  One person (Trevor) reporting similar results has
> fairly decent-quality GigE NICs on both sides – or at least what I
> *assumed* to be fairly decent-quality NICs!

I should hope so, my NICs are Intel server grade gigabit on the server
and Intel high-end workstation grade gigabit on the client ($100-$300
NICs, retail).

Kevin, I didn't have time to scan your exact results, is it mostly
pc->server that's slow or server<-pc?  And your pc is Windows, I gather
(XP?).

My big problem has always been windows->linux performance (but never
linux->windows).  I've given up on it for now, but one thing that made
a HUGE difference was turning OFF jumbo packets.  I instantly got 5X
better performance with jumbo OFF.  Yes, my switch is jumbo capable,
and it was enabled, and set properly on the pc and linux.  Go figure.
I blame the Linksys WebSmart switch, but who knows.