[RndTbl] squid caching of Windblows Updates

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Thu Apr 15 15:52:22 CDT 2010

On 04/15/2010 03:31 PM, Sean Cody wrote:
> On 2010-04-15, at 3:26 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>> oooh, I've never seen this before, I had thought you were talking about
>> DHCP option 252 (DHCP server can tell the client the location of the
>> wpad file to use). Doing it in DNS is interesting!
>>
>> Then again, I know almost nothing about Windows :)
>>

> I have never seen option 252 work.  I think I have a scar from the wall I banged my head against due to it.
> I wish it did, work especially on non-windows hosts as forgetting to set http_proxy is something I ALWAYS forget to do.

Didn't work when I tried it either - it's just that that's what I
thought Trevor was talking about.

Ah, and the DNS wpad thing works on Mac OS X 10.6 too (as long as the
user has opened System Preferences, clicked on "Network" clicked on
"Advanced..." then on "Proxies" and then checked the box "Auto Proxy
Discovery"... sigh).

Peter