[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 13:51:26 CDT 2010

On 10-08-07 01:19 PM, Sean Walberg wrote:
> I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems easy enough to find
> out:
>
> (Windows XP SP3)
>
> C:\>ping foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com
> Ping request could not find host foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com. Please check the name
> and try again.
> C:\>echo 127.0.0.1 *.hhjjhhjjhh.com>  c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
> C:\>ping foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com
> Ping request could not find host foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com. Please check the name
> and try again.
> C:\>echo 127.0.0.1 foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com>>
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
> C:\>ping foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com
> Pinging foo.hhjjhhjjhh.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
> Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

	That never occurred to me. I'll give it a try when I get back.

> I'll leave it as an exercise to you to test the same on Linux.

	That may resolve one problem. Thanks.

> BTW, why are you blocking Amazon S3?

	It was appearing as an ad server when chromium was loading an unrelated
web page. Besides I don't order anything from Amazon. I thought the
domain was actually amazonaws.com and unrelated to Amazon...

	FYI, that example I mentioned earlier had listed over 1500 ad servers.

> Sean

				Later
				Mike