[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sat Aug 7 17:46:02 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Mike Pfaiffer <high.res.mike at gmail.com>wrote:

>        The teacher at the lab is absolutely sold on the idea of using the
> hosts file to block out places like porn sites, gambling sites,
> facebook, and places like the pirate bay. For classroom machines I can
> see his point. Particularly since they are going through a different
> subnet than we are.

Doing that at the DNS level misses out on proxies, any site with DNS
wildcards, and also relies on the application to Do The Right Thing. Your
friend might want to spend some time configuring Squid in transparent proxy
mode. There's also the Squidguard redirector that makes blocking bad sites
easier.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/